Service Specialist - Maintenance
River Pointe - Fridley, MN
Quarterly Bonuses and On Call Stipend
11 Paid Holidays
20% Rent Discount for Centerspace rents
Volunteer Time Off each Quarter
Medical/Dental/Vision Benefits – 1st of Month Following Start Date
Centerspace Stock Purchase Plan
401k match up to 5%
Come join our growing team of Service Specialists!
About Centerspace: Centerspace was founded in Minot, North Dakota, in 1970. You can find our corporate support offices located in Minneapolis, Minnesota and in Minot North Dakota, along with onsite operations in eight states. From Denver, CO to Minneapolis, MN, our company continues to grow throughout the Midwest, proudly providing apartment homes to thousands of residents, extending our vision to be the premier provider of apartment homes in vibrant communities by focusing on integrity and serving others. Centerspace is built around our employees. Our Mission and Vision unites our employees as one team.
Responsible for repairs of mechanical or aesthetic issues; general building preventative maintenance; maintaining the environmental conditions of spaces; maintaining accurate levels of inventory related to the building’s mechanical systems; know and perform individual emergency procedures and duties as dictated by the site emergency procedure manual.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
*Valid Driver's License & Reliable Transportation are required.
- Complete minor and major repairs of mechanical or aesthetic issues to ensure the property is optimally functional, presentable, and safe.
- Perform minor and major HVAC maintenance, such as replacing motors and bearings.
- Change light bulbs, service flush valves, clean mechanical rooms, and plunge toilets.
- Paint and/or wallpaper assigned areas and perform minor repairs to applicable areas.
- Perform minor carpet repairs.
- Demonstrate proficiency and respond appropriately to the building automation and security (including card access if applicable), fire, life, and safety systems.
- Select and monitor service providers to ensure services delivered are the most effective and efficient for the property.
- Perform general building preventative maintenance to ensure equipment is safe and effective for use, and down time with equipment meets or exceeds established specifications.
- Service and monitor the HVAC equipment.
- Maintain the environmental conditions of spaces to ensure the tenant and common space environments are acceptable for optimum use.
- Perform preventative maintenance on:
- Doors, locks, and hardware
- Wall treatments
- Provide assistance to the Community Leader to ensure that tenant improvements are accurate and address concerns with appropriate contact, such as construction or tenant.
- Monitor and maintain tools.
- Perform assigned duties as prescribed in safety manuals.
- Respond to test situations accurately.
- Maintain sufficient technical and industry contacts and knowledge.
- Participate in after hours on-call programs.
- Assist outside contractors with major inspections.
- Serve as a key contact between community leaders, operations managers, general managers, and tenants.
- Apply current knowledge or devise creative solutions to proactively resolve issues.
- Utilize any tools and/or processes implemented by the organization to assure adherence to quality standards.
- Participate in capital improvements.
- Maintain operating logs and record temperatures, pressures, and chemical level of heavy equipment such as chillers and boilers.
- Complete reports and perform various administrative duties to positively support completion of activities and projects.
- Maintain accurate levels of inventory related to the building’s mechanical systems to ensure optimum levels of inventory are on hand and readily accessible when needed.
- Purchase parts and supplies from vendors; review pricing for competitive rates for parts, services, and supplies.
- Stock items when received.
- Clean up vacant areas.
- Remove debris from the building and grounds.
- Provide backup for Community Porter.
- Know and perform individual emergency procedures and duties as dictated by the site emergency procedure manual and the safety manual to ensure that actions promote the safety and security of the employees, occupants, and structures, and correct actions are demonstrated in test situations and actual emergencies.
- Promptly respond to all emergency situations, fire alarms, and natural catastrophes.
- Study and know the site-specific emergency manual(s).
- Assist tenant and emergency personnel in swift and careful evacuations when appropriate.
- Communicates regularly with management, vendors, equipment repair, maintenance, and tenants for day-to-day operational issues.
- Participate in continuous improvement/quality initiatives and identify improvements to, and/or develop new, products, services, or processes to result in the discovery of more efficient and effective methods and/or new offerings.
- May assist with groundskeeping duties such as mowing, weed control, tree/shrub trimming, depending on the property and need.
- May be responsible for snow removal such as shoveling snow and de-icing walkways, etc, depending on the property and need.
- Assist and/or back up coworkers.
If expected to carry a mobile phone, eligible for a monthly reimbursement or Centerspace issued phone, according to company policy. May have access to a shared company vehicle. Eligible for mileage reimbursement, according to company policy, when no Centerspace owned vehicle is available.
Some local travel may be required.
Education & Experience
- Required: 2+ years of previous maintenance experience.
- Preferred: Trade school education.
- Certifications and/or Licenses: Have or willing to attain EPA, CPO, and/or boiler operator’s license as required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required:
- Constantly (66-100% of the time) - to be on feet, stand, walk; bend, stoop, squat, kneel; use hands and fingers to grasp, grip, turn and feel; reach above shoulders, push, pull, lift and carry; operate equipment and tools; climb stairs and ladders; balance; and talk and hear or effectively and safely communicate. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Lift or move up to 25 pounds.
- Frequently (33-66% of the time) - lift and/or move up to 75 pounds, write reports and drive vehicles.
- Occasionally (1-33% of the time) - sit; lift and/or move more than 75 pounds, although usually with the assistance of another employee and/or equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Additional details regarding competencies and other duties are available upon request. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of this position.
“Centerspace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Centerspace is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Centerspace are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, […], family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Centerspace will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Centerspace encourages applicants of all ages.”