Paralegal- Franchise Compliance
Since 1940, Dairy Queen® has been one of the world’s best known and loved brands. Based in Minneapolis, MN, International Dairy Queen Inc., (IDQ), is the parent company of American Dairy Queen Corporation. As a leading franchisor, there are more than 7,000 independently owned and operated restaurants in the U.S., Canada and more than 20 countries around the world. IDQ is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (Berkshire) which is led by Warren Buffett, the legendary investor and CEO of Berkshire.
Here at IDQ, we create extraordinary Fan experiences every day and we do this through our commitment to hiring and retaining only the best in class talent. We firmly believe that our employees are the catalyst to the success of the company where their initiative, strategic thinking, and entrepreneurial spirit are recognized and rewarded. We're looking for motivated, passionate and dedicated individuals with an inherent need and ambition to go after bigger challenges.
We have an exciting Paralegal opportunity available out of our corporate offices in Bloomington, MN. The Franchise Compliance Paralegal provides support to the Legal Manager, Attorneys in the Legal Department, and other internal personnel in handling franchise operations and compliance matters. The job focuses on franchise legal matters in the United States and Canada, including franchise compliance process, franchise agreement termination, system-wide initiatives and programs, pre-litigation negotiations, and system standards and requirements. The Franchise Compliance Paralegal develops and maintains franchise knowledge and expertise to ensure effective support.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Support franchisee compliance process, working with inside and outside counsel and corporate staff, including preparation of default and termination letters, mutual cancellation agreements, and related documents, following up on default and termination statuses.
- Analyze franchise and other agreements and applicable laws for compliance requirements, default opportunities, cure periods, and other franchise compliance issues.
- Communicate compliance status and strategies with counsel, corporate staff, franchisees, and other representatives.
- Input data, ensure accuracy of information, and maintain, develop, and improve various tracking and reporting mechanisms for franchise compliance process as necessary.
- Resource for Finance, Retail Technology, Operations, and other internal departments on franchise compliance issues.
- Draft legal documents including letter agreements, promissory notes, addenda to existing agreements, and correspondence.
- Participate in cross-functional teams to establish and enforce new franchise initiatives.
- Assist with annual review and revision of System Standards and Operations Manual.
- Support Fan Relations department regarding legal issues.
- Work with vendor to ensure compliance with franchise insurance requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Qualifications
- 5-7 years of experience at a law firm, in-house corporate legal department, or equivalent legal experience.
- Bachelor's degree and Paralegal certificate required.
- Franchise experience preferred.
- Self-motivated and efficient, with good business judgment and analytical skills.
- Ability to efficiently manage a large workload and react promptly to multiple deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Must maintain a professional demeanor.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to interact effectively at all levels and divisions of the Company, franchisees, and legal counsel.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Must be able to work with highly confidential and sensitive documents and information and maintain such confidentiality to protect the Company.
Advanced Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Adobe AcrobatPro DC skills.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Our benefit package supports the well-being of our employees and their families. Our comprehensive benefit package includes, medical, dental, 401K match, paid time off (including volunteer time as well as parental leave) and so much more! To learn more about our great benefit offerings,Click Here.
Most positions located out of our global headquarters in Bloomington, MN will work a hybrid work schedule where you will work 2 collaboration days a week. Additional in office time may be required to support team/project needs. Positions will be identified as “remote eligible” when consideration will be given to candidates outside of drivable distance to our Bloomington office.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We are committed to creating a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion for all who touch DQ. We believe in and commit to fostering a community where employees bring their authentic selves to work; where we recruit, engage and retain employees, franchise owners and suppliers with diverse background and identities; and where everyone feels welcome engaging with our DQ brand.
IDQ is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. IDQ participates in the US E-Verify program. You must be work authorized in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship.
Years of experience
- 5 - 7 Years