SAGE | Senior Director, Development Operations, Strategy and Stewardship
Senior Director, Development Operations, Strategy and Stewardship
SAGE is the world’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBTQ+) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE offers supportive services and consumer resources for LGBTQ+ older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBTQ+ older people and provides cultural competency training for aging providers and LGBTQ+ organizations, largely through its National Resource Center on LGBTQ+ Aging and its growing social enterprise SAGECare.
The Senior Director, Development Operations, Strategy and Stewardship reports directly to the Chief Development Officer as a true right hand. The Senior Director, Development Operations, Strategy and Stewardship will also be responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining systems that ensure the successful and effective implementation of the department’s annual development plan. They will be responsible for ensuring operational excellence, efficiency, and rigor in implementing the development team’s fundraising strategy, providing data analysis to processes and reporting in support of fundraising. This role will manage a team of 3, directly supervising the Director of Individual Giving and Development Operations (who oversees one Development Coordinator) and the Director of Special Events.
Strategy and Implementation
- Takes a leadership role in ensuring the team's success in meeting annual fundraising goals.
- Serves as a strategy partner with CDO in ensuring the team's success in meeting its fundraising goals through implementing the systems that will enable large scale fundraising campaigns and events, including analyzing data to identify goals and target donors, creating systems within our CRM and in the team's workflow.
- Drive development operations strategy to provide the infrastructure, processes, procedures and systems that optimize efficiency and productivity through iteration on the Development Team’s Standard Operating Procedure manual.
- Recognize opportunities for innovative solutions and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Works with the Chief Development Officer to assess and determine appropriate technologies including the team's fundraising CRM, managing projects related to selection, installation, implementation, and maintenance of fundraising technologies.
- Provides leadership, training, mentoring, and support to a remote team.
- Acts as a partner to the CDO as a Development team leader for team professional development and team building activities.
Operations and Events
- Develops, implements, and monitors fundraising systems including those that project revenue and track donor pipelines, the implementation of moves management, reporting mechanisms, information technology, and data infrastructure to support operations as they relate to all fundraising programs consistent with the development team’s annual development plan.
- Oversees the timely and accurate production of all gift reporting, statistical analyses, and evaluations.
- Oversees the strategy and production of all events and donor experiences to ensure effective use of funds and highest ROI to strengthen/cultivate donor relationships and raise revenue.
- Work with the Director of Special Events to create a rubric for analyzing meaningful metrics to assess and enhance SAGE’s in person events and virtual experiences.
- Supervises gift acceptance, processing, recording, and tracking.
- Oversees the team's adherence to gift policies and donor intent.
- Serves as a liaison to the Finance Department on financial reporting, reconciliation, tracking, projections, and other issues.
- Serves as liaison and partner with IT department on ensuring the department’s compliance with organizational policies and practices.
- Manages and supports the operations and development teams in providing effective prospect research support including contact screenings, prospecting, and development of robust donor profiles.
- Leads collaborative efforts between the fundraising teams to create meaningful and personalized stewardship strategies for SAGE's family of donors, partners, and funders.
- Manages the operations and events team, as well as SAGE's fundraising consultant to implement a calendar of stewardship strategies including acknowledgement, data management, in person and virtual events and briefings, annual reports, and other special communications and opportunities.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Provide team members with the information, tools and resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations, and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Education and Experience
- 5-8 years’ experience with the Salesforce or another fundraising CRM
- Experience with online fundraising platforms
- Experience with creating and customizing reports
- Familiarity with and a passion for addressing issues related to LGBTQ+ aging.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Develops and communicates a strong vision for how the operations and stewardship of a development team can enable strong fundraising outcomes
- Effective and positive team leader committed to building a collegial team culture
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical skills
- Team player with a can-do attitude and a passion for our shared work as an organization
- Embodiment of our organizational values of teamwork and optimism
- Expertise in Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize and coordinate multiple priorities.
- Problem solving abilities paired with excellent judgment
- Ability to train and answer questions from non-technical users
- Attention to detail
- Ability to develop and manage a strategic plan with multiple projects and deadlines.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated individual who is excited to expand their skills and expertise at a growing organization. Sage is prepared to offer a salary range of $140,000- $155,000.
Sage offers a generous benefits package including:
- 401k and Company match
- PTO including Vacation, Sick, and Personal Days
- Life Insurance
- FSA/HRA/Dependent Care
This position description is based upon material provided by SAGE. SAGE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, citizenship status, marital or family status, family medical history or genetic information, veteran status, HIV serostatus, military or military discharge status, height, weight, disability or handicap, domestic violence victim status, employment status, socioeconomic status, criminal history or arrest record, sexual or other reproductive health decisions, natural hair or hairstyle, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. SAGE is dedicated to this policy, with respect to all matters concerning employment.
To apply for this position, please click HERE.
Sarah Raful Whinston, Principal
Jin Lee, Associate
- $141,000 to $160,000 per year